- 1 large sweet potato (or yam), coarsely grated
- 1 parsnip, peeled and coursely grated
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour or gluten free all purpose flower
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons cooked sweet potato (or yam), mashed
- 1 tablespoon low fat non-dairy milk or water
- cooking oil spray
- Toppings: Tofy Sour Cream Sauce (below) with chives, or applesauce (below)
- Boil a small sweet potato or yam and mash with fork and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large mixing bowl, place grated raw sweet potato and parsnip. Add flour, baking soda, sea salt, and black pepper and three tablespoons of the mashed sweet potato. Stir to combine.
- Add the non-dairy milk or water.
- Line the baking sheet with parchment paper?, and spray lightly with cooking spray.
- Scoop up a rounded tablespoon of the latke ?mixture and form it into a ball with your hands. Flatten slightly to create a little patty, and place on the baking sheet. Repeat with remaining mixture.
- Bake for 25 minutes, or until golden on one side. Flip the latkes gently and bake for another 15 minutes, or until golden brown?.
- Serve warm, topped with either tofu sour cream and chives or applesauce (recipes below.)
Tofu Sour Cream (for savory latkes)
- 1 cup silken tofu
- 1-2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh chives
- Place all ingredients (except for the chives) in a food processor or blender. Blend until smooth.
- Stir in the chives.
- Store in the refrigerator in a covered container until ready to use.
Homemade Applesauce (for sweet latkes)
- 6 cups apple, cored, peeled and diced
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup raw sugar or maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Place all ingredients in a 4-quart saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a gentle boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 25 minutes, or until the apples are very soft.
- Mash apples with a potato masher for a chunky texture, or purée them to desired consistency in a food processor.