- 3 - 4 whole peppercorns (depending on your heat preference!)
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 8 cloves
- 12 green cardamom pods
- 3 inches of ginger, chopped/grated or cut into thin rounds
- 3 cups of water
- 3 cups almond milk *
- 2 1/2 - 3 tbsp honey (depending on your sweetness preference!)
- 3 tbsp good dried black tea leaves (I prefer loose leaf darjeeling or assam tea leaves)
*This will give you a basic chai recipe, if you prefer more flavor, add extra spices and experiment with what you like!
*Note if using regular milk, add ginger when you add the tea leaves to avoid potential curdling
- Add all of the whole spices to a mortar and pestle and crush into large pieces.
- Bring a stove top pot up to a low/medium heat. add the crushed spices and toast for about 2 minutes, then add the ginger and continue toasting for another minute until the spices start becoming very aromatic.
- Add water and milk to the pot. stir and bring up to a light simmer - this should take about 10 minutes. Remove from heat as soon as the liquid starts to simmer.
- Add the honey and stir to combine. Then add the black tea and stir, let steep for about 5-10 minutes depending on how strong you like your chai.
- Pour the chai through a strainer to catch all of the whole spices.
- Serve warm or let cool and store in fridge to serve over ice.