- 2 cups beets
- extra-virgin olive oil
- kosher salt
- 1 cup strawberries, cut into quarters
- 3 tablespoons blue cheese - we used gorgonzola
- 1 tablespoon candied nuts (any kind)
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives and dill
for the strawberry-balsamic vinaigrette:
- 1 tablespoon strawberry jam
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 drops liquid smoke
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- kosher salt and black pepper
- Roast the beets: Scrub beets to remove any dirt and dry off. Using a sheet tray lined with aluminum foil coat the beets with oil and salt and seal with foil to form an airtight seal. In an oven at 350 degrees, roast beets for 2.5 to 3 hours, or until they are tender and pierced easily with a skewer. Remove from oven and peel the outside of the beets immediately using a towel to remove their skins. Let cool and dice into 1” pieces.
- Make the vinaigrette: In a mixing bowl, whisk together strawberry jam, vinegars, black pepper, salt and liquid smoke. Stream in olive oil while whisking. Taste and season with more salt if needed.
- Assemble salad: Toss beets and strawberries with vinaigrette until well coated and seasoned. Add some salt and pepper. Add strawberries and beets to two bowls or plates and top with candied nuts. Break the gorgonzola into chunks and place on top. Garnish with chives and dill and eat!