- 1 1/3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/2 cup coconut oil + more for greasing muffin tin
- 1/4 cup sugar in the raw + more for sprinkling on top of muffins
- 1 cup almond milk (or milk/non-dairy milk of your choice)
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup + 1 tablespoon grade b maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs, room temperature and well beaten
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 cup fresh or frozen raspberries
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 3 tablespoons rolled oats
- Preheat the oven to 400F and grease 2 muffin tins with coconut oil.
- In a large bowl, add the whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, turmeric and cardamom. Whisk together very well.
- In a separate bowl mix together the coconut oil and sugar for 1-2 minutes to help the sugar in the raw dissolve a little. Add the maple syrup, eggs, almond milk, vinegar, and extract.
- Carefully add the wet ingredients to the dry and fold together until blended. There shouldn't be any large pockets of flour in your batter but some lumps should remain. Gently fold in the walnuts, chia seeds, and berries.
- Fill muffin cups almost to the top and sprinkle with oats and reserved sugar in the raw. Let rest for 5 minutes, then bake for 13-15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes in the tins then turn out onto a rack to finish cooling.