4 cups mixes berries (strawberries, blackberries, blueberries, etc.)
1 /4 cup light brown sugar
2 tablespoons almond liqueur or bourbon
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup raw almonds
3/4 cup self-rising flour
1/4 cup granulated sugar
8 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold and cut into 1 tablespoon pieces
2-3 tablespoons cold water or buttermilk
1 tablespoon sugar in the raw
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- In a large bowl, combine the berries, sugar, liqueur or bourbon and vanilla. Set aside.
- To make the topping, add the almonds to the bowl of a food processor and pulse until fine. Add the flour and sugar and pulse to combine.
- Add the butter and pulse until texture resembles that of wet sand.
- Add in two tablespoons of water and pulse until a dough forms. If dough does not come together, add 1 more tablespoon of water and pulse to form dough.
- Add the berries to a 9-inch cast iron skillet. Use a tablespoon to scoop dough on top of berries in 6-10 evenly spaced spoonfuls. Sprinkle sugar in the raw onto the top of the dough.
- Bake cobbler in the oven for 30-40 minutes, or until berries are bubbling and biscuits are golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool slightly.
- Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.