- 3 and 1/4 pounds (6-8 total) medium sized zucchinis
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb. lean ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 2 cans (10 ounces) red enchilada sauce
- 1 cup diced tomatoes (optional to add green chilis to the tomatoes for extra spice)
- 1 cup corn
- 1 cup black beans
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika (optional for added spice)
- 2-3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- Green onions, chopped
- 1 cup of cotija cheese (or another cheese of preference)
- Fresh lime wedges, and sour cream (or non-fat plain greek yogurt for topping)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Remove the top and bottoms of the zucchinis and slice in half. Using a sharp spoon, scoop out the centers of the zucchinis into a bowl, leaving about a half to a quarter of an inch rim and bottom. (Save the zucchini insides for stuffing.)
- Drizzle olive oil over the zucchinis. Add salt and pepper. Rub all over. Bake for about 20-25 minutes or until the zucchinis are crisp and tender. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- While the zucchinis cook, sauté the garlic and onion in a skillet for 1 minute. Add the ground turkey and cook until tender and meat is browned through.
- Add 1.5 cans of enchilada sauce to the ground turkey mixture along with the tomatoes, corn, black beans, cumin, paprika (optional), finely chopped cilantro, and a few teaspoons of lime juice. (Save the rest of the enchilada sauce for drizzling around the zucchinis once they're stuffed.)
- Mix well and then add in the scooped out section of the zucchini (this is optional to not waste food and have a stronger zucchini flavor, but feel free to also leave them out. If you add them, give them a quick coarse chop before).
- Mix together and generously pack in the skillet mixture into the cooked zucchinis.
- Pour the reserved enchilada sauce around the zucchinis to give them more flavor.
- Bake for another 5 minutes, remove, and top with the cheese. Bake for another 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Top with optional toppings and garnishes of choice: additional cilantro, green onion, lime juice, sour cream or non-fat greek yogurt, guac or chopped avocados, and diced roma tomatoes.
- Enjoy immediately. (Save any leftovers for a burrito or taco salad tomorrow!)