- 2 - 3 tbsp ghee or oil
- 1 sweet yellow onion, about 2 cups finely diced
- A pinch of salt
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 1 tsp fresh grated ginger
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and finely minced
- Heaping 1/4 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 Granny Smith apples, peeled and finely diced
- 2 gala apples, peeled and finely diced
- 4 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp water
- in a dutch oven style pot, add the ghee and bring up to a medium heat.
- add the onions and a pinch of salt and cook, stirring occasionally for about 5 minutes until the onions start to become translucent.
- add the minced garlic, grated ginger, minced jalapeño, and spices, stirring to combine with the onions. let cook for another 5 minutes while you prep the apples.
- peel and dice the apples into small pieces. add to the pot along with the sugar, honey, additional salt, pepper, apple cider vinegar, and water. stir to combine.
- bring the heat down to a low-medium, and let the chutney cook down for about 45 - 50 minutes, stirring occasionally to keep it from sticking to the bottom of the pot.
- the chutney is done once the apples and onions have broken down and there is no liquid leftover in the mixture.
- remove from heat and let cool. taste and salt as needed.
- store in the fridge until ready to use, enjoy!