- ingredients from pie recipe of choice (see the recipe we followed here!)
- rolling pin
- microplane grater
- cookie cutters
- paint brush
- Slice the apples to about 1/4". If you slice them too thin, they'll get mushy.
- Toss the apples with the sugars. While you're waiting for the magic to happen, get your bottom pie crust ready. Make sure to keep it chilled afterwards, though.
- After you've prepared the filling, place it in the chilled pie shell. Make sure the filling is piled taller than you'd expect. It will sink down a bit while baking. I like to finish it with some lemon zest for a bright flavor.
- Roll out the remaining dough. This will be the dough you make your lattice or punch shapes out of.
- Use various cookie cutters to create fun shapes. Adding your own style goes a long way in creating a gorgeous and unique pie!
- Lay the lattice over the pie in a crisscross pattern. Weave the strips together, starting at one end, and working your way down.
- Attach all of your cutouts to the lattice with egg wash and a brush. I like to use a high quality paintbrush. These aren't as wide as traditional basting brushes, and give you better control over where you're brushing the egg. Just make sure it isn't shedding any hairs.
- Brush the final product with eggwash, and sprinkle with sugar. This will give your pie a nice shine.