2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1 cup walnuts, divided
2 small tart apples, peeled, cored & cubed
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
1 1/2 cups milk or almond milk
1/2 cup apple juice
1 vanilla bean or 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350°F and spray a large baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a mixing bowl, add the oats, brown sugar, 3/4 cup of the walnuts, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt, and thoroughly combine.
- In a separate mixing bowl, add the eggs, milk, apple juice, and vanilla extract and whisk until the eggs are completely combined.
- Pour the egg mixture and the melted butter into the dry ingredients and stir together until just mixed.
- In a large baking dish, arrange the apples into one even layer. Pour the oat mixture over the apples and evenly distribute the remaining walnuts.
- Bake for 45 minutes, until the top is golden and the oats are set throughout. Serve warm, or refrigerate and reheat the next day.