- 1 cups of dried red lentils
- 3 - 4 cups of water* if you prefer less thick dal, add the extra water.
- 1 tsp of salt
- 1/4 tsp ground turmeric
- 2 tbsp of ghee
- 1 tsp of cumin seeds
- (optional) pinch of asafoetida
- Rinse the lentils under water two or three times. I add the lentils to the pot I will cook them in, add water to the pot and run my hand through the lentils. I then strain the lentils through my fingers, catching them in my hand. You could also use a strainer if preferred.
- Once the lentils are rinsed, add the water, salt, and turmeric to the pot. place on the stove and bring up to a medium/high heat, bringing the lentils up to a rolling simmer. stir the lentils and then cover the pot, lowering the heat to a low/medium heat so the water just has a light simmer.
- Cook the covered dal for about 7 minutes.
- While the dal cooks, in a small pan, add the ghee, melting and bringing it up to a medium heat. add the cumin seeds and optional asafoetida and heat through for just about a minute. Remove from heat.
- Once the dal is done cooking, remove from heat and add the melted ghee and cumin into the lentils, stirring to combine.
- Serve warm with rice or naan. Enjoy!