- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil or extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 cups thinly sliced mixed mushrooms: shiitake, maitake, buna-shimeji, or your fave mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium tamari soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon mirin
- 4 cups cooked grains: your choice of brown rice, freekeh, farro, or quinoa
- 4 cups packed fresh greens, such as arugula or finely chopped kale leaves (reserve 3 cups for the salad, 1 cup for topping)
- 1 ripe avocado, pitted, peeled, and thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons crushed gomashio, for topping
Creamy Miso-Tahini Dressing:
- 2 tablespoons organic miso paste
- 3 tablespoons tahini paste
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- In a large sauté pan, warm the sesame oil or extra-virgin olive oil over medium heat. Add the mushrooms and sauté until lightly golden, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the tamari and sauté for 2 minutes more. Deglaze the pan with the mirin to release the bits from the bottom of the pan. Turn off heat.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the ingredients for the dressing. Using a spatula, stir in the grains and fully coat. Add the mushrooms and 3 cups of the greens, and gently fold to coat well with the dressing. Top with the avocado, reserved greens, and gomashio.
Gomasio, aka Japanese sesame salt, can be purchased in the Asian spice section of some grocery stores and online at Amazon.com.