- 1 small baguette or a few slices crusty bread (stale is fine)
- 2 eggs
- 1 small avocado
- 4 slices cooked crispy bacon
- 1 cup tomatoes, any size or mixed
- 1 small head bibb lettuce, leaves separated
- mixed fresh herbs like basil or chives (optional)
- flaky sea salt (I like Maldon)
for the vinaigrette:
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Put a saucepan of hot water on high and bring to a boil.
- Meanwhile, tear the baguette into 1" pieces, and spread out on a foil-lined baking sheet. Toss in a little olive oil, then toast in the oven until golden and crispy, 5 - 8 minutes.
- When the water comes to a boil, drop in the eggs and keep on a steady simmer/low boil for exactly 8 minutes. Remove to an ice water bath to stop the cooking.
- Slice up the avocado and tomatoes - I like to halve grape tomatoes or cut big tomatoes into wedges. Cut bacon into 1/2" pieces.
- On a big platter (or 2 plates) arrange the lettuce leaves. In rows (don't be too precious about it), arrange tomatoes, bacon, avocado, and croutons. Peel the eggs, then quarter and add to the platter.
- Make the vinaigrette by shaking up all the ingredients in a jar. Drizzle over the salad, and sprinkle with herbs, salt, and pepper. Eat!