- 5 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 3 cans black beans
- 1 quart chicken broth
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 2 limes
- 1 tablespoon chili powder (more or less depending on preference)
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- for the toppings: sour cream, chopped avocado, sliced jalapeno, pico de gallo, tortilla chips
- In a dutch oven or stock pot, warm olive oil over medium-high. Sauté garlic cloves and onion just until they start to soften, then add all 3 cans of black beans, along with their liquid. Add about 8 stems of cilantro, juice from both limes, chili powder, and a big pinch of salt and pepper. Turn up to high until it comes to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer.
- Simmer the soup for 20 - 30 minutes, until the beans start to break down and the soup is thickened to your liking. Divide into bowls and top with toppings of your choice.
**If you like a more luxurious, creamier texture, transfer half the soup to a blender, and blend into a chunky puree. Add back to soup pot and stir into the soup before serving.