- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground pepper
- crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 12 ounce bag of shredded brussels sprouts (see note)
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1/3 cup toasted hazelnuts or pecans, roughly chopped
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook the olive oil, pepper, and red pepper flakes together until toasted, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Add the Brussels sprouts and cook, without stirring, until they being to soften, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in the butter, season with the salt, and cook until the Brussels sprouts just begin to char, about 2 minutes. Remove the skillet from the heat and add the Parmesan, lemon zest, and hazelnuts.
- Serve warm, topped with more fresh Parmesan.
Note: you can carefully shave your own Brussels sprouts using a mandoline, but buying them already prepped is a major time-saver.