For the cake:
- 1/4 cup of almond milk
- 1 tbsp of Assam tea
- 1 cup of sugar
- 3/4 cup of ghee, melted
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- 2 cups of flour (310g)
- 3 tsp of baking powder
- 1 tsp of salt
- 7 - 8 turns of fresh ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp of cardamom
- 1 1/2 tsp of ginger
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 cups of fresh shredded carrots, about 2 large carrots
For the frosting:
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 8oz of cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup of sifted powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp of vanilla
- 1/2 tsp cardamom
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and line two 6" cake pans with parchment paper, set aside.
- In a microwave safe cup, heat up the 1/4 cup of milk until warm. About 1 - 2 minutes. Add the 1 tablespoon of Assam tea and let brew while you prep the rest of the ingredients.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the sugar, melted ghee, 3 eggs, and vanilla. Once the milk has cooled slightly, add it to the bowl. Stir together the wet ingredients.
- In another large mixing bowl, add the flour, baking powder, salt, and spices. Stir together the dry ingredients.
- Fold the dry ingredients into the wet in three parts, carefully folding the ingredients together and making sure not to over mix.
- Fold in the shredded carrots.
- Divide the batter between the two pans, and place in the middle rack of the oven. Bake for 40 - 45 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool on a cooling rack.
- While the cake cool, make the frosting. Add all of the ingredients into a large mixing bowl or bowl of a stand mixer and whip together until smooth.
- Once the cakes have cooled, frost as desired. Enjoy!