for the kale cubes -
- 1 bunch of kale, chopped
- olive oil
for the herb cubes -
- a few bunches of any fresh herbs like dill, parsley, green onions, etc.
- olive oil
for assembly -
- 2 cups of prepared rice
- 1/4 cup of olive oil, more if needed
- salt to taste
- toppings of choice - pickled veggies, roasted veggies, eggs, etc.
- To prepare kale cubes, bring a medium pot of water up to a boil. Add the chopped kale to the boiling water and blanche for about 2 - 3 minutes until the kale has turned bright green. Remove from boiling water with a slotted spoon and dunk in ice water to stop the cooking. Remove from the ice water and place on a clean kitchen towel to dry. Once the kale is fully cool and dry, divide and pack the chopped kale into the cubes of an ice tray. Top each cube with olive oil and place in the freezer until fully frozen. The oil doesn't need to fully fill the cubes, a teaspoon or so per cube should suffice. Once the kale and oil has frozen, I remove from ice cube tray and store in Tupperware in the freezer to use as needed.
- To prepare herb cubes, finely chop up any mixed fresh herbs you have on hand. Pack the finely chopped herbs into the cubes of an ice cube tray and top with olive oil and freeze. The oil doesn't need to fully fill the cubes, a teaspoon or so per cube should suffice. Once the fresh herbs and oil has frozen, I remove from the ice cube tray and store in Tupperware in the freezer to use as needed.
- To assemble, remove 3 - 4 kale cubes and 3 - 4 herb cubes from the freezer and thaw in a small bowl. Add the thawed greens to a small blender or food processor and blitz. Drizzle in the olive oil until desired texture has been reached. It doesn't need to be completely smooth. Taste and salt as needed.
- Toss warm rice in desired amount of kale herb sauce, and assemble with toppings of choice. Enjoy!