2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
1 and 1/2 cans of unsweetened coconut milk
1 cup of vegetable broth
3 Tbsp yellow curry paste
2 Tbsp chili powder
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 onion, chopped
6 garlic cloves, minced
2 Tbsp ginger, minced
2 lemongrass stalks, very thinly sliced
1 Tbsp fish sauce
1 Tbsp lime juice
2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts, shredded
1 large sweet potato, cut into 3/4" cubes
1 heaping cup chopped broccoli
1/2 cup green peas
1/2 cup carrots, cut into 1/4" thick coins
1 scallion, green parts thinly sliced
handfuls of fresh basil, cilantro and/or mint
salt and pepper
steamed rice, cauliflower rice or rice noodles
- Heat a large pot over medium heat. Add 1 Tbsp olive oil and onion and cook until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add in garlic, ginger, lemongrass and stir frequently, about 4 minutes. Reduce heat if necessary to prevent over-cooking.
- Add the curry paste, chili powder and cayenne and sauté until the spices are fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add in the chopped vegetables and cook for 5-10 minutes over medium heat until they begin to soften.
- Add in the broth and coconut milk and bring to a simmer.
- Bring a separate pot filled with 8 cups of water to a boil. Add the chicken breasts and cook for 10 minutes. Remove chicken and shred with a fork.
- Add the shredded chicken and fresh herbs to the curry and gently simmer for 10-15 minutes. Be careful not to boil.
- Add fish sauce and lime juice to taste.
- Top with chopped scallions, more herbs and serve with lime wedges and rice.