dairy-free, vegan, vegetarian
- 1/2 - 3/4 cup tomato masala*
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1/2 tbsp very finely grated fresh ginger
- scant 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 3/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/8 tsp red chili powder (more if desired)
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 1/2 tsp tava fry masala
- Pinch of hing (optional but recommended)
- 1 head of cauliflower, stemmed and cut into small florets
- 3 Yukon gold potatoes, chopped into small cubes or wedges
- to serve: lime or lemon juice, chaat masala, cilantro, salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, add the tomato masala, ginger, and spices. Stir to combine. *I have previously used the tomato masala here in this recipe, it is essentially just tomato sauce cooked down with spices, sometimes finely chopped onions and peppers. If you don't have tomato masala, I would recommend just reducing down a can of tomato sauce on the stove and using a 1/2 cup in this recipe.
- Add the cauliflower and potatoes into the spice mix and toss to combine until everything is evenly coated.
- Pour into an even layer onto an unlined sheet tray, making sure to give the vegetables enough space to allow them to crisp and not just steam.
- Bake in oven for about 35 minutes, flipping halfway through. Bake for an additional 5-7 minutes on broil to char the veggies.
- Remove from oven and top with lime/lemon juice, a sprinkle of chaat masala, cilantro, and salt to taste. Serve with rice or rotis. Enjoy!