dairy-free, gluten-free, nut-free, vegetarian
- 1 pound carrots, washed and peeled
- extra-virgin olive oil
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large orange
- 1/3 cup rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- big pinch of red pepper flakes (or 1/2 sliced jalapeño)
- 6 fresh sage leaves, torn
- 1/4 cup toasted pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
- for garnish: flaky sea salt and a few fresh sage leaves
- Preheat oven to 425. Halve carrots lengthwise, then spread them out on big foil-lined baking sheet in an even layer. If they're too crowded, use two sheet pans. Toss with olive oil just to coat, then sprinkle with a big pinch of salt and a few grinds of pepper. Roast for 15 - 20 minutes, just until cooked through and getting crispy on the edges. Toss them around halfway through to ensure even cooking.
- Meanwhile, add the following ingredients to a small saucepan: zest and juice of your orange, rice wine vinegar, honey, red pepper flakes, and sage leaves. Bring to a simmer over high heat, then turn down to medium-low and let simmer for about 5 minutes until mixture becomes thick and syrupy. If it reduces down too much, add a splash of water or vinegar to loosen up the mixture. Turn off the heat, then stir in the pumpkin seeds.
- Arrange carrots on a serving plate, then pour the citrus mixture evenly over the top, evenly distributing the sage and pumpkin seeds. Finish with a big pinch of flaky salt and a few fresh sage leaves for garnish. Eat!