- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 4 tbsp butter, softened to room temperature
- 1 1/2 cup lightly packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- zest of 1/2 orange
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup chopped hazelnuts
- for topping: melted chocolate, chopped hazelnuts, rose petals
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a bowl, add the flour, cocoa powder, salt and baking soda. Stir/sift together and set aside.
- Add the butter and sugar to a mixing bowl and whisk together until thoroughly combined - it will be slightly crumbly. Add the vanilla and orange zest, combine.
- Add the eggs one at a time to the butter sugar mixture and mix until thoroughly combine.
- Sift the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and fold together until combined. Add the chocolate and chopped hazelnuts. Stir to combine. The dough will be sticky.
- Form the dough into a log about 15 inches long and 3 inches wide. I find that dipping my hands in water helps to keep the dough from sticking while forming it.
- Bake for about 30 minutes. The dough will have spread. Remove from oven and set aside to cool for about an hour.
- Heat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Slice the cooled cookie into 1 inch or so wide cookies. Turn cookies on their side and space out around the baking sheet.
- Bake for another 15 - 20 minutes until the cookies are crisp. Remove from oven and let cool.
- To decorate, drizzle over dark chocolate and desired toppings. Enjoy!