- 2-3 tbsp neutral oil
- 3/4 tsp whole cumin seeds
- 1/2 onion, sliced
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp red chili powder (more or less based on preference)
- 1 heaping tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 bell peppers, sliced into strips
- 1 jalapeno, sliced into strips
- 1/2 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- tortillas of choice
- cheese (I used a blend of queso fresco and shredded Mexican blend)
- to serve: guacamole, sour cream, salsa, cilantro, lime
- In a large stove top pan, add the oil and bring up to a medium heat. Add the cumin seeds and cook for about a minute until the seeds become golden.
- Add the onion and stir to combine. Cook until the onions have become just translucent and are starting to soften, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add the tomato sauce and remaining spices. Stir to combine and heat through until fragrant and the sauce has taken on a rich red color, about five minutes.
- Add the sliced peppers and stir to coat. Cook until the peppers have softened slightly.
- Remove pan from heat and add the black beans. Stir to combine.
- To assemble, layer a tortilla with the spiced pepper mix and cheese. Cook on a medium-high heat grill until both sides are golden and the cheese has melted.
- Serve with desired toppings, enjoy!