- 1 1/8 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, room temp
- 3 tablespoons flour (a combination of whole wheat flour is good)
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1/8 tsp salt
- nutmeg, preferably whole nutmeg, grated
- 1 9-inch unbaked pastry shell
- optional garnish: whipped cream and berries
- Place rack in lower third of oven and preheat to 400 degrees.
- Combine sugar, butter and flour in medium bowl and beat until smooth and creamy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in buttermilk, vanilla and salt.
- Pour into pie shell and grate nutmeg lightly over top of pie (a microplane grater works well for this). Bake 10 minutes, then reduce oven temperature to 350. Bake another 35-40 minutes, or until filling is set and lightly browned. Cover edge of pie shell during baking if browning too quickly.
- Place pie on rack to cool. Serve warm or at room temperature, with whipped cream and berries if desired. Refrigerate leftovers.