dairy-free, vegan, vegetarian
For the Grain Bowl
- 1-2 medium golden beets
- 1 small sweet potato
- 3-4 small bell peppers, sliced
- 1 cup brown rice, tri-color quinoa or bulgur, cooked according to package directions
- 1 bunch tuscan kale or leafy green of choice, i.e. swiss chard, collard greens or spinach
- Homemade quick pickles (see below)
- 1 tablespoon pepitas, toasted, or seeds of choice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Microgreens, optional
- Freshly cracked black pepper and salt to taste
For the quick pickle
- ½ pound carrots, cut into batons
- ½ pound radish of choice, i.e. red, french breakfast or daikon radishes, sliced
- 3-4 slices chili pepper
- 2 cups filtered water
- 2 cups champagne, white wine or apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 quart non reactive air tight container, such as a glass tupperware or mason jar
- Preheat oven to 350 degree fahrenheit. On a sheet tray, cut beets and sweet potatoes to equal size. Season with salt and pepper and a light drizzle of olive oil. Toss and bake for 30-35 minutes or until fork tender.
- Meanwhile make quick pickles.
- In a small saucepan over medium low heat, heat water, vinegar, sugar and salt until sugar and salt are dissolved about 5 minutes. Let mixture cool slightly and pour over prepared carrots and radishes in a non reactive container. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, tear kale off fibrous stem into bite sized pieces, drizzle salt and teaspoon of olive oil and massage until the leaves are soft.
- Add kale, roasted vegetables, pickles, peppers, pepitas, microgreens to a bowl. Dress with two teaspoons of pickling liquid, a drizzle of olive oil and season with black pepper and salt to taste.