- nonstick spray for pan
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 12 ounces dark or semisweet chocolate chips
- 5 eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla paste or extract
- 1/2 tsp peppermint extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder (gluten-free, if that's important to you)
- for serving: whipped cream, crushed peppermints, chocolate shavings, and cocoa powder
- In a large metal bowl set over a pot of lightly simmering water, melt butter and chocolate, stirring frequently. Let cool to room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 375. Line the bottom of a 9-inch springform pan with parchment, then spray bottom and sides with nonstick spray. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with the whisk attachment, beat eggs on medium high until they're foamy, about 3 minutes. Slowly pour in sugar, then continue beating for about 5 minutes, until almost white and very foamy. Add both extracts, salt, and baking powder, and lightly whisk to combine.
- Pour egg mixture into bowl with chocolate, and use a spatula to fold in just until combined. Transfer to prepared cake pan, and bake for 30 minutes until the edges start to pull away from the pan. The center will still look just a little jiggly.
- Let cool for 10 minutes in pan, then release and let cool completely.
- Serve piled high with whipped cream, crushed peppermints, chocolate shavings, and cocoa powder. Slice and eat!
*Cake keeps well covered with foil and in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Top with whipped cream just before serving.