- 1 whole chicken (3 ½ - 4 pounds)
- 1 bunch thyme sprigs
- 2 lemons, cut in half
- 2 heads garlic, peeled whole cloves
- 2 cups brussel sprouts, damaged leaves and tough ends removed
- 2 cups fingerling potatoes
- 6-8 carrots
- 1 cup olive oil
- ½ cup green onions, chopped
- ½ cup green olives, pitted and slice
- Chicken Brining & Drying (or skip to next step if not brining) Basic brining ratio is 4 tablespoons of salt for every 4 cups of water. Dilute the salt in the water, to do this you can heat up the water a bit but make sure the brine comes back to room temperature before adding to the chicken. The amount of water will depend on the vessel you use to brine the chicken, just make sure the brine fully covers the chicken and you can use a heavy plate over the chicken to keep it fully submerged. Transfer to the refrigerator for 8hrs. Take the chicken out of the brine and place it on a sheet tray lined with a couple layers of paper towels, then transfer to the refrigerator again uncovered overnight. This step will fully dry the chicken, allowing it to brown beautifully in the oven.
- Stuff & Truss The Chicken. In the cavity of the chicken insert 2 lemon halves, thyme sprigs, and 2 garlic cloves. Then truss the chicken with kitchen twine.
- Vegetable & Chicken Prep. In a big bowl toss the remainder of the garlic cloves, the brussel sprouts, the potatoes, the whole cup of olive oil and a large pinch of salt. In a half sheet tray place the carrots next to each other in a single layer right in the middle of the tray, this will be the stage for the chicken. Around the carrots pour the veggies + oil mixture and distribute it evenly. Place the last lemon halves face down, this way as the lemon cooks the lemon juices will mingle with all the other flavors. Lastly, place the chicken right over the carrots and drizzle the chicken with a bit of olive oil. *If you did not brine the chicken, thoroughly salt the chicken at this point. Do not salt the chicken if you previously brined it.
- Roasting Time. Roast the chicken and veggies, uncovered, in a preheated oven at 425° for 20 minutes. Lower the temperature to 325°, toss the vegetables to make sure they are cooking evenly in the oil (except the carrots, since they are under the chicken) and continue cooking for about 45 minutes, until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 160°F.
- Finish. Take your masterpiece out the oven, add the olives over the vegetables and toss the vegetables one more time. Sprinkle the green onions over the vegetables, squeeze the deliciously roasted lemons over everything and enjoy!