- 300g puy (blue–green) lentils
- 100ml olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 celery stalk, finely chopped
- 1 large tomato, finely diced
- 1 bouquet garni (2 thyme sprigs, 5 parsley stalks, 2 bay leaves tied together)
- 750ml hot vegetable stock
- 200g baby spinach
- 50g sourdough bread, diced and shallow-fried in oil until crisp
- 300g burrata
- Baby beetroot shoots or shiso cress
- 1 large handful basil
- Rinse the lentils under running water. Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a pan over medium heat, add the onion, garlic and celery and cook gently until translucent.
- Add the tomato and cook for a further 3 minutes. Add the lentils and bouquet garni, stir well and then add the stock and reduce the heat. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes or until the lentils are cooked and the stock has been absorbed.
- Stir the spinach into the lentils until just wilted and check the seasoning. Transfer to a bowl, scatter with the sourdough croutons and torn burrata and garnish with beetroot shoots.
- Mix the basil with the remaining olive oil in a blender, season to taste and drizzle over the salad.