dairy-free, gluten-free, nut-free, vegan, vegetarian
- 1 can black beans
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves minced garlic, divided
- 2 cups sliced shiitake mushrooms
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6 corn tortillas
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1 lime cut into wedges
- chopped cilantro
- Quick pickled red onions (see below)
- First, make the Quick Pickled Red Onions (below.)
- Meanwhile, make black beans. In a small saucepan, add 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1 minced garlic clove. Sauté over medium-high for one minute. Add a can of black beans with all the liquid, a big pinch of salt, and 4 cilantro stems. Bring to a boil, then let simmer for 15 minutes until thickened. Turn off heat.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in pan, add remaining minced garlic sliced shiitake mushrooms, and cook for 10 min over medium heat, stirring frequently. Season with salt and pepper.
- Char the tortillas: using tongs, hold each tortilla over a gas burner (or alternately, place in a hot skillet) for 15 seconds per side, until both sides are slightly blackened and crispy on the edges.
- In charred corn tortillas, pile beans, mushrooms, sliced avocado, pickled red onions, cilantro and a squeeze of lime. Eat!
Quick Pickled Red Onions
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- ½ tablespoons salt
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- Bring water to a simmer, then whisk in sugar and salt. Remove from heat.
- Put red onion in a large mason jar or bowl.
- Pour hot water mixture and vinegar over the onions, and shake. Let sit at room temp for 1 hour, or store in fridge for a week