- 1/2 cup of black lentils (pre-cooked)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- squeeze of lemon juice
- 1 small bunch of carrots, peeled
- 1/2 pound of brussels sprouts, stemmed and halved
- 2 tsp honey
- pinch of red chili powder
- salt and pepper
- 1 bag of arugula
- 1/2 red onion, sliced
- 4 oz goat cheese, crumbled
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds (or other nut/seed of choice)
- fresh herbs of choice (cilantro, mint, etc.)
- for the dressing: 1 tbsp olive oil, juice of 1/2 lemon, 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar, 1 1/4 tbsp honey, salt and pepper to taste, pinch of red pepper flakes
- Prep the lentils. Add cooked lentils to a container and drizzle with olive oil, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, and a big pinch of salt and pepper. (Optional, can also add 1 smashed clove of garlic or 1/2 a shallot) store lentils in fridge until ready to use.
- Prep the dressing by combining all dressing ingredients into a small mason jar and shake to combine. Taste and adjust to your preferred tastes.
- Prep the vegetables. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a sheet tray with parchment and place carrots and brussels sprouts onto the tray. Drizzle with olive oil, honey, a pinch of red chili powder, salt and pepper. Toss to combine until everything is coated. Space out vegetables on the tray and place brussels sprouts cut side down. Bake in oven for about 25 minutes, flipping halfway through. If the brussels sprouts cook faster, just remove from the tray and finish cooking the carrots separately. Remove from oven and let cool.
- Prepare the salad. On a serving plate, layer the arugula, onion, and roasted vegetables. Top with goat cheese, sesame seeds, and fresh herbs.
- When ready to serve, pour over dressing. enjoy!