- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- ½ pound brussels sprouts, halved lengthwise
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 shallots, sliced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Red chili flakes
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary (or 1 tsp Italian seasoning)
- 12 ounces rigatoni (or other tube-shaped pasta, like penne)
- 1/3 cup chopped green olives
- 1/3 cup kale pesto (recipe follows)
- 1/3 cup toasted walnuts, chopped
- Optional toppings: grated parmesan and torn basil
- Bring a stockpot of water to a boil, and cook rigatoni according to package directions. Drain, reserving ½ cup pasta water.
- Meanwhile, warm 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add brussels sprouts, garlic, and shallots. Sauté until brussels sprouts are cooked through and caramelized, 8 - 10 minutes. Season with salt and red chili flakes (to taste), then stir in rosemary.
- Add drained rigatoni to the skillet, along with olives, pasta water, and kale pesto. Toss, allowing sauce to fully coat the pasta.
- Transfer to bowls and top with another drizzle of olive oil, chopped walnuts, parmesan, and basil. Add a pinch of salt and eat!
- 3 cups kale, torn and ribs discarded
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast (or sub 2 tablespoons parmesan if not making vegan)
- 1/4 cup toasted walnuts
- juice of 1 lemon or lime
- squeeze of honey
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, blanch the kale and garlic cloves for 3 minutes. Remove to ice water bath and let cool. Use your hands to squeeze some of the water from the kale, then add kale and garlic to blender, along w/ nutritional yeast, walnuts, lemon juice, honey, and olive oil. Pulse until smooth, adding some of the kale water as needed to thin. Add kosher salt to taste.