for the vegetables:
- vegetables of choice: I used 1/2 sliced yellow onion, 1 sliced zucchini, 2 chopped bell peppers, cherry tomatoes
- 1 head of garlic, sliced in half
- 3 stems of fresh thyme
- salt and pepper
- olive oil
for the polenta:
- 3/4 cup of cornmeal (1/2 cup pulsed in a food processor, 1/4 cup as is)
- 32oz of vegetable broth at room temperature
- 8 oz water (plus more as needed) at room temperature
- 1 parmesan rind (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 stems of fresh thyme
- 1/4 cup of mascarpone
- 1/4 cup shaved parmesan
to prepare the vegetables:
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- On a large sheet tray, add your vegetables of choice and garlic and thyme stems. Drizzle generously with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Space everything out onto the tray and place the garlic cut side down.
- Bake in oven for 30-35 minutes. Prepare the polenta while the vegetables cook.
to prepare the polenta:
- Add your dry polenta to a large stovetop pot or pan and bring up to a medium heat. Toast in the pan for about 5 minutes until it becomes slightly fragrant.
- Slowly add in the vegetable broth and whisk continuously while adding the liquid in to incorporate the polenta and avoid clumping. Add the water and continue whisking. Lower the heat to low. You don't want the polenta at a boil, but a very low simmer.
- Add the parmesan rind, thyme, and salt and pepper. Whisk to combine.
- Cook for about 20 minutes, whisking every couple minutes to ensure no clumping or sticking to the bottom of the pan. If the polenta feels a bit thick, add a little extra water at a time.
- Add the mascarpone and parmesan to the polenta, and whisk to combine until smooth, cooking another 10 minutes or until the polenta is tender.
- Remove from heat and salt to taste.
- Squeeze the caramelized garlic out of the peels and mash into a paste. I like to do this with a fork on a cutting board. Stir into the finished polenta.
- Serve the polenta hot, it will continue to thicken as it cools.
- Top with roasted vegetables and parmesan, or other toppings of choice. Enjoy!