- 1 pound fettucine, papardelle, or tagliatelle
- 1 pound sliced baby bella mushrooms
- extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/3 pound ground Italian sausage
- 5 garlic cloves, sliced
- Chunk of parmesan, for grating
- 1 lemon, zest and juice
- 4 cups arugula
- 3 tablespoons butter, sliced
- garnish: red pepper flakes, basil, and parmesan
1. Put a large pot of pasta water on to boil.
2. In a large skillet, heat 3 tablespoons olive oil and add mushrooms in even layer (you may need to do this in two batches.) Stir to coat mushrooms in oil, then cook undisturbed for 3 minutes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, then stir well and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
3. Add sausage to the pan and sauté for about 5 minutes over medium-high, breaking up with a fork and stirring occasionally, until cooked through. Add the sliced garlic and sauté until golden. Return mushrooms to pan, toss well, and turn off heat.
4. Meanwhile, add pasta to boiling water and cook according to package directions. Use a pasta scoop to transfer pasta into pan with mushrooms and sausage, allowing some of the pasta water to come with it. Grate a bunch of parmesan over the top, along with lemon zest and juice, arugula, butter. Toss well for a minute or two -- put some muscle into it! You want everything to coat the pasta in a light layer of sauce.
5. Serve with more grated parmesan, red pepper flakes, and basil