- 1 cup farro
- 1 cup apple cider
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, more as needed
- 2 bay leaves
- 8 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 70 grams Parmesan cheese, shaved with a vegetable peeler (1/2 cup)
- 70 grams chopped pistachio nuts (1/2 cup)
- 2 cups arugula leaves
- 1 cup parsley or basil leaves, torn
- 1 cup mint leaves
- ¾ cup halved cherry or grape tomatoes
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced radish
- Maldon or other flaky sea salt, for finishing
- In a medium saucepan, bring farro, apple cider, salt, bay leaves and 2 cups water to a simmer. Simmer until farro is tender and liquid evaporates, about 30 minutes. If all the liquid evaporates before the farro is done, add a little more water. Let farro cool, then discard bay leaves.
- In a salad bowl, whisk together olive oil, lemon juice and a pinch of salt. Add farro, cheese and pistachio nuts and mix well. This salad base will keep for up to 4 hours at room temperature or overnight in the refrigerator (bring to room temperature before serving). Just before serving, fold in arugula, herbs, tomatoes, radish and flaky salt to taste.