- 2 tablespoons butter, cut into 4 pieces
- Zest and juice from 2 large lemons, plus more for serving
- ½ pound fresh or dried spaghetti, linguine, or bucatini
- 4 tablespoons heavy cream
- ¼ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, plus extra cheese to serve on the side
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Fresh herbs like mint, basil, and chives, leaves left whole, and red pepper flakes for garnish
- Bring a pot of salted water to boil.
- Drop the spaghetti into the boiling water. Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, warm the cream in a skillet over medium, and add the lemon zest. Add the butter to the cream mixture.
- As soon as the pasta is cooked, lift the pasta out of the water with tongs, and add to the sauce. You want just a little of the pasta water to come with it. Add the lemon juice, then cook for one minute, stirring vigorously and adding pasta water to the sauce if needed to loosen it up.
- Add salt and pepper, then add the parmesan a little at a time while tossing.
- Top with basil and red pepper flakes, plus more grated parmesan and lemon zest.