- 1 large sweet potato, 315g, microwaved and cooled
- 1/3 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds, freshly ground or 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp coriander seeds, freshly ground or 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- 1/2 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- Microwave sweet potato on potato setting until fork tender. Peel potato and add to a large bowl. With a fork, mash. It does not need to be completely smooth. Set aside to cool while you prep the other ingredients. (You can also use the oven to cook potato if you prefer, but the microwave will cook the potato quicker.)
- In a large stove top pan, add a splash of oil and the breadcrumbs. Bring to a medium heat and toast until golden brown, stirring to keep the crumbs from burning. Once toasted, add the crumbs to the bowl with the sweet potatoes.
- Add 2 tbsp of oil to the pan and add the chopped onions with the spices and toast until the onions are lightly golden and spices are fragrant. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- In a large food processor, add the chickpeas and cooled onions and spices. Pulse until chunky, using a spoon to scrape the bottoms as needed. If using a small food processor, pulse onions and chickpeas together in two batches. Add the mixture to the bowl with the sweet potatoes and breadcrumbs.
- Mix sweet potatoes, breadcrumbs, and pulsed onion chickpea mixture together until it forms a cohesive texture. Add the lemon juice and combine. The mixture should not be sticky but shouldn't be dry either. If too dry, add 1 tbsp of water only if absolutely needed.
- Form patties out of about 1/2 cup of the mixture each. I formed patties that were just a bit smaller than my palm and not too thick.
- Set formed patties on a parchment lined sheet tray or plate and let rest in fridge for at least an hour.
- To cook on the stovetop, add a generous helping of oil to pan and bring to a medium heat. Add patties and cook on each side until golden brown. To avoid sticking, use a good pan and plenty of oil, as well as waiting until the bottom is golden brown before flipping.
- To cook in the oven, drizzle patties with oil and cook for about 20 minutes on each side until golden brown at 400 degrees F.
- Serve with favorite burger toppings. Enjoy!