For the Plum Lavender Clafoutis
- 1 tsp unsalted butter, for greasing the skillet
- 15 oz [430 g] sliced plums
- 2/3 cup [130 g] granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup [70 g] all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp crushed lavender petals
- 1/4 tsp Rose Salt or Chamomile Salt
- 1 1/2 cups [360 ml] whole milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp confectioner's sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350°F [180°C]. Evenly butter the bottom and sides of a large cast-iron skillet.
- In a large mixing bowl, toss the plums with half of the granulated sugar. Assemble the plums in the cast-iron skillet however you fancy.
- In the same large mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, flour, lavender, Rose Salt, and the remaining granulated sugar until well blended.
- Add the milk and vanilla and whisk until just combined.
- Pour the mixture into the skillet over the plums and bake for about 50 minutes or until just set. Let cool for about 10 minutes.
- Using a fine-mesh sieve, sprinkle confectioners' sugar over the top. Serve immediately.
- 1/4 cup [5 g] dried rose petals
- 1/2 cup [100 g] fine sea salt
- In a food processor or spice grinder, grind the rose petals for 5-10 seconds, checking the petals regularly until they resemble small flakes. Be sure not to grind them into a powder.
- In a small bowl, stir together the salt and rose petals. For optimal flavor, wait about 1 week before using, though you can use immediately if needed.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 year.