for the hummus:
- 5 large carrots, peeled
- 1 red bell pepper, halved
- 1 head of garlic, sliced in half lengthwise
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp fresh ground coriander
- 1 tsp fresh ground cumin
- 1 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 can garbanzo beans
- 2 tbsp tahini
- zest of 1 lemon
- juice of 2 lemons
- splash of water as needed
- flatbread of choice - I like naan or pita - warmed
- vegetables of choice: I like greens, peas, cucumbers, corn, avocado, and pickled shallots
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place the carrots, red bell pepper open face down, and garlic drizzled with oil and wrapped in aluminum foil, onto a sheet tray. Drizzle carrots and bell pepper with olive oil and sprinkle the spices onto the carrots. Add salt to the bell pepper. Bake for about 30 minutes until the carrots and pepper are charred and tender. Remove from oven and let cool.
- Add the garbanzo beans, tahini, lemon zest and juice, and a splash of water to a high powered blender.
- Chop the carrots, peel the skin off the pepper and deseed, and squeeze the garlic cloves out of their skin, and add all of these vegetables to the blender. Blend on high until smooth. Taste and adjust salt as needed.
- To serve, spread hummus onto flatbread, and top with vegetables. Enjoy!