dairy-free, gluten-free, nut-free, vegan, vegetarian
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, chopped
- 5 carrots, sliced
- 1 potato, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 head cauliflower, chopped
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 quart vegetable broth
- 1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt and a few grinds pepper
- for serving: fresh cilantro, lemon wedges, and flatbread/naan/cornbread (optional)
- Warm olive oil in a large pot or dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add onion, garlic, carrots, potatoes, and cauliflower, and cook for 10 min, stirring occasionally, until beginning to soften.
- Add cumin, turmeric, ginger, a pinch red pepper flakes, salt, pepper, and tomato paste. Stir around until the spices get toasty and fragrant.
- Add tomatoes, broth, chickpeas, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 - 30 minutes until everything's tender and cooked through.
- Sprinkle with cilantro and serve with lemon wedges and flatbread.