- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 12 chocolate baking discs (bittersweet or semisweet)
- crushed peppermint
Preheat oven to 375 F.
In a stand mixer, with the paddle attachment, cream together butter and sugar on medium-high. Add both extracts and egg, then beat until well mixed. Sprinkle over top flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt. Mix until just combined.
Refrigerate for at least an hour until hard.
Remove dough from fridge, and roll into tablespoon-sized balls. A cookie scoop makes this easy.
Roll into powdered sugar and place on parchment lined baking sheet, spread about an inch apart.
Place 1 chocolate disc in center of each cookie, pushing down slightly.
Bake for 10 minutes - you want the center to be slightly underdone. Remove from oven, and sprinkle immediately with crushed peppermint while the chocolate is still melty.
Let cool on a wire baking rack, then eat!