This golden beet, grapefruit, and avocado salad was inspired by sunshine. It’s packed with colorful, nutrient-rich produce and full of flavor, making it a perfect lunch or side dish for any warm-weather gathering.
- 1 bunch golden beets, scrubbed and trimmed
- 1 large (or 2 small) grapefruit, peel and pith removed
- 2 avocados, cut into large chunks
- 1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- garlic salt
- 1 block feta, crumbled or sliced
- lots of torn fresh herbs like cilantro, basil, or mint
- flaky salt and freshly ground black pepper
for the Golden Turmeric-Honey Dressing:
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 inch piece ginger, peeled
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- zest and juice of 1 lime
- 1 teaspoon dijon
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Preheat oven to 425. Wrap the beets in a foil bundle, and roast for about an hour. You’ll know they’re done when you can easily slide a knife into the center of the beets.
- Remove the beets from the oven, let them cool, then use a paper towel to rub the skin off the outside of the beets. Slice into half rounds, and chill in fridge.
- Meanwhile, make the crispy chickpeas. Pour the chickpeas onto a baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil, and toss with chili powder and a few shakes of garlic salt. Spread in an even layer, and bake in a 425 degree oven for about 45 minutes until they’re crispy. Shake the pan once or twice during cooking time.
- Allow the crispy chickpeas to cool completely before storing in an airtight container at room temperature.
- Make your dressing by combining all ingredients in a blender. Store in a mason jar in the fridge.
- When ready to serve, slice the grapefruit into rounds, then cut each round in half.
- Arrange grapefruit on a serving platter with beets, avocado, and fresh herbs. Drizzle vinaigrette over top. Top w/ crispy chickpeas and crumbled feta. Season with salt and pepper and eat!
I love to make this salad for a gathering because it’s so easy to pre-prep all your individual ingredients and store them in the fridge. Simply assemble and arrange them on a big platter when you’re ready to eat. It’s one of those dishes that feels absolutely effortless, but packs a flavorful punch and is a feast for the visual senses as well.
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 60
- Category: salad
- Cuisine: vegetarian
Keywords: grapefruit avocado salad