If you haven’t welcomed jarred artichokes into your always-on-hand list of pantry staples, this recipe is the place to start. Sheela Prakash uses them as the base of this fresh and satisfying grain salad. It’s our spring go-to.
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 3/4 cup water
- Kosher salt
- 2 (12-ounce) jars marinated quartered artichoke hearts, drained
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for serving
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 5 ounces baby spinach (about 5 packed cups)
- Juice of 1/2 medium lemon (about 1 1/2 tablespoons)
- 3 ounces feta cheese, crumbled (about 3/4 cup)
- 2 scallions (white and green parts), thinly sliced
- Arrange 2 racks to divide the oven into thirds and heat the oven to 450°F.
- Place the quinoa in a fine-mesh strainer and rinse well. Transfer the quinoa to a small saucepan, add the water and 1/4 teaspoon salt, and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer until the quinoa is tender and all the liquid is absorbed, about 15 minutes. Uncover and fluff with a fork. Taste and season with additional salt as needed. Transfer the quinoa to a rimmed baking sheet, spread into an even layer, and refrigerate to cool while you roast the artichokes.
- Meanwhile, place the artichokes on a rimmed baking sheet, toss with the olive oil, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and several grinds of pepper, and spread into a single layer. Roast on the bottom rack, tossing halfway through, until browned, 18 to 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and immediately scatter the baby spinach over the roasted artichokes to very lightly wilt while you toast the quinoa. Switch the oven to broil on high.
- Use your fingers to break up any large clumps of quinoa, ensuring it’s spread into a single layer. Transfer the baking sheet of quinoa to the top rack and broil, tossing frequently, until the quinoa is browned and crispy, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Gently toss the vegetables with the lemon juice, a generous pinch of salt, and several grinds of pepper on the baking sheet. Taste and season with additional salt and pepper as needed. Divide among 4 individual plates or shallow bowls. Sprinkle with quinoa crunchies, feta, and scallions and drizzle with olive oil.
- Prep Time: 40 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Category: Salad
Keywords: Spinach-artichoke salad, salad seasons