Sweet caramelized squash, fragrant herbs, and nutty parmesan make this simple summer pasta absolutely addictive.
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 10 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
- 2 pounds assorted summer squashes and zucchini, halved lengthwise and sliced
- Kosher salt & freshly ground pepper
- 12 ounces paccheri or rigatoni (or other tube-shaped pasta)
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan, plus extra for serving
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup basil or mint leaves
- 1/2 cup toasted pine nuts or crushed walnuts
- Over medium heat, warm olive oil in a large skillet over medium low. Add the garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden brown (about 5 min.)
- Add squash and turn up heat to medium. Season with salt and pepper, and cook for about 30 minutes until the squash is very tender and caramelized.
- While the squash is cooking, cook pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water until al dente. Drain, reserving ½ cup cooking water.
- Add pasta to skillet with the pasta water and half the parmesan. Stir well, add the rest of the parmesan, zest, juice, and half the basil. Stir well to combine.
- Serve topped with more Parmesan, salt, pepper, walnuts, and basil leaves. Eat!
- Feel free to swap in whole grain or chickpea pasta to up the nutrients.
- Make it vegan by swapping the parmesan for a sprinkle of nutritional yeast.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Category: pasta
Keywords: zucchini pasta recipe, simple summer pasta recipe