As the unofficial resident tomboy of the Camille Styles team, I (Jennifer) couldn’t be more excited about revealing the first featured guest of our 2012 Holiday Gift Guide Series. Lizzie Garrett is the author of one of my very favorite blogs as well as the gorgeous coffee table book from Rizzoli, Tomboy Style: Beyond the Boundaries of Fashion. The book chronicles the past eighty years of women who broke the rules and embodied the tomboy spirit, including icons such as Jane Asher, Osa Johnson, and Jean Seberg. While humble Lizzie didn’t list the book in her interview answers, we simply had to include it here — it would make a fantastic gift for tomboys of all ages! Santa, if you are reading this (and I know you are), this book is what I want for Christmas! So without further ado, let’s see what Lizzie is thinking about giving (and receiving!) this holiday season:
1. Tomboy Style: Beyond the Boundaries of Fashion, by Lizzie Garrett Mettler
2. Do you send out holiday cards? If so, where from?
Yes, every year. We’ve sent from Mr. Boddington’s, Egg Press, Yellow Owl Workshop. I’m not sure where this year’s will come from, but I love that time of year when the mailbox is stuffed with cute cards from friends and family.
5. Accessory gift?
These key chains are so cool!
6. What’s a complete “splurge” item you’d love to receive this year?
Dennis Hopper: Photographs 1961–1967. It’s currently sold out, you can get it online used or from independent sellers—it’s expensive, but I’ve love to have it my library. It’s such a rich book and it’s oversized which I love. What a talent.
7. Home accessory you’d like to receive?
Super-soft wool blanket
8. Do you have a favorite go-to culinary gift?
Stone ground blue corn pancake mix. So good.
9. Favorite holiday song?
All the classics: Elvis’ Blue Christmas, Silver Bells, I’ll Be Home for Christmas.
10. Do you have any go-to gift ideas for co-workers or acquaintances?
Everyone loves badminton, right?
11. Stocking stuffer?
I love burning cedar incense around the holidays.
12. A just-for-fun gift?
The Lego VW camper van
13. Kids item?
Slinkys have staying power!
14. Do you send thank you notes for Christmas gifts? If so, do you have a favorite press or set of thank you cards?
I do on some occasions, yes. Terrapin Stationers is a new favorite.
15. What’s your favorite holiday tradition?
My mom has made a baked egg casserole on Christmas Morning with Hatch chiles every year since I can remember. It is now one of those Proustian memories, whenever I taste green chiles, it feels like Christmas morning.
16. What do the holidays mean to you? What’s your favorite thing about this time of year?
To me it’s about being at home, whether that’s my home I share with my husband, my childhood home or at my in-laws. Sitting around a roaring fire and having cocktails is my ultimate happy place.
*photo of Lizzie by John Konkal