When a new client is in my chair I always ask if there’s anything about their hair drives them crazy. Most everyone wants to go from frizzy to smooth or from flat to full — turns out we all want what we don’t have (sigh). This is important for me as a stylist because it gives me direction for how I can help them achieve the look of their dreams. Martha Lynn here, and flat hair is something I struggle with myself so I’m always fine tuning my techniques to go from flat to full. With the right products and a couple of tricks you’ll be sporting voluminous locks that looks like you spent half the day in my chair. Read on to learn how I transformed Robin’s hair from flat to fabulous:SUPPLIES
- Round Brush
- Hair Clips
- Blow Dryer
- Living Proof Full Root Lifting Hairspray
- Living Proof Full Thickening Mousse
- Living Proof Flex Shaping Hairspray
- Start with Living Proof Full Shampoo and Conditioner for the perfect foundation for major oomph! Section by section spray Living Proof Root Lifting Hairspray focusing on the root of the hair (don’t be timid you can layer this quite a bit). Then starting with a golf ball sized dollop of Living Proof Full Thickening Mousse, rub it into your hands until it liquifies and then apply it throughout mid lengths and ends. Comb ALL products through the hair to evenly distribute.
- Power dry hair to 90% dry — this will save you a ton of time!
- Begin blow drying your hair with a round brush section by section. The smaller the sections, the bigger the volume. Focus on over directing the hair (pulling it up and over) and then roll it down on itself with the round brush. If it feels like you’re getting tangled up on the round brush and blow dryer, turn the dryer off and use both hands to wrap hair around the round brush like a roller and then turn the dryer on and heat it up and then cool it off before releasing the hair. (TIP: If you’re not getting enough body, try a smaller round brush! Many people think that a large brush means big volume but your hair needs a chance to curl and a brush that’s too large may only be smoothing the hair not curling it.)
- When you reach the crown of your head create air curls by rolling hair on the round brush, heating it up, cooling it off then wrapping the hair around your fingers to create a curl and pin with a small clip to hold in place.
- The longer you can let this set the bigger the volume! Spray with Flex hairspray while the clips are still in place.
- Release the clips and flip your entire head forward then back for maxim volume. Shape the hair with your finger tips and finish the look with a second spray of Flex.
Share this Post