We love this time of year for so many reasons — but the opportunity to get glammed up is at the top of the list! Between work parties, family gatherings, and new year’s eve soirées, we’ll have plenty of excuses to break our best party dresses in the weeks to come. We met up with senior stylist Erica Rae at Roar Salon to learn how to create a perfectly elegant updo that will make any holiday outfit shine: a modern take on a trusted classic — the french twist. With Austin musician Erin Ivey playing model, this look strikes just the right note for the holidays:
- Begin by doing a quick texture “set”: prep hair with Kérastase V.I.P. Hairspray, and lightly crimp the hair around the hairline starting at the root.
- Next you’ll section the hair. Create a center “mohawk” section, separate and pin side sections on either side of the mohawk.
- Tease the mohawk section starting from the front and working your way back.
- Smooth out the top layer of hair and pull the mohawk section back loosely to create a “bouffant” look.
- Keeping the bouffant full, begin twisting the mohawk in a downward direction and pin in place at the nape of the neck.
- Starting on with the left section of hair, take 1″ horizontal sections from hairline and lightly twist. Grab a thin piece of hair at the end. “Push and pull” to create texture.
- Pin the end of the twisted section to the opposite side of the center twist with large bobby pins.
- Repeat on opposite side and continue working from one side to the next, all the way to the bottom.
- Once you have reached the boot, you can then decide to tuck the hair into the twist or style the remaining hair as you wish.
- Finish hair with product (VIP spray).
Listen to Whisper of the Moon, Erin’s Grammy ballot nominated collection of gorgeous lullabies here.
Share this Post