These homemade carrot cake cupcakes are moist, delicious and topped with creamy vanilla icing.
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 flax eggs
- 1/3 cup coconut oil melted and cooled
- 3/4 cup oat milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 Tbs maple syrup
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1 1/2 cup gluten-free oat flour
- 1/3 cup almond flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 3/4 cup grated carrots
- prepared icing of choice – I like the Simple Mills vanilla icing
- 1/4 stick of vegan butter (I like Miyokos)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a cupcake tin with cupcake liners.
- Prepare the flax egg by adding 2 Tbs ground flaxseeds with 6 tablespoons of water in a small bowl and refrigerate for 5 minutes.
- While the flax egg is in the refrigerator, add the applesauce, melted coconut oil, oat milk, vanilla extract, maple syrup and coconut sugar to a bowl and whisk together.
- Add in the flax egg and combine.
- In a separate bowl combine the oat flour, almond flour, baking powder, cinnamon, sea salt, chopped walnuts, and grated carrots. Mix well to combine.
- In a large bowl, combine the wet and dry ingredients and whisk until thoroughly mixed.
- Add about 1/3 cup of batter to each cupcake tin and bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Once cooked through, remove from the oven and allow the cupcakes to cool.
- Melt 1/4 stick of butter in a bowl and add in the prepared icing. Whisk thoroughly until you get a soft, fluffy texture.
- Ice each cupcake and option to top with additional chopped walnuts and cinnamon. Best enjoyed within 2-3 days.