Next up in our 12 Tastes of Christmas series is a gorgeous holiday first-course from Béatrice Peltre, the culinary creative behind La Tartine Gourmande. I’m continually wow’d by Béa’s beautiful photography and the drool-worthy recipes I’m dying to sample, and I’m so thrilled that she popped in with this salad stunner that’s perfect for kicking off any festive fête. From Béa:
When I was growing up, my mother always had mâche (lamb’s lettuce) in her garden, and it’s become the base for one of my favorite wintry salads. I love this salad for its festive appearance, and it also happens to be very easy to make. Because it combines cooked and raw ingredients that balance taste and texture, this is an appetizer that is both refreshing and comfy, elegant and accessible. The salad was such a hit on last year’s Christmas table that I think it will make an appearance again this year!
Mâche Salad with Potato Galettes & Scallops
by Béatrice Peltre, author of “La Tartine Gourmande: Recipes for an Inspired Life“
For the vinaigrette:
- sea salt and pepper
- 1 small shallot, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar or red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons pistachio or hazelnut oil
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped tarragon
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped parsley
For the salad:
- 2 yellow potatoes, peeled and sliced finely with a mandoline
- olive oil, to brush
- sea salt and pepper
- ground nutmeg
- 2 1/2 cups mâche salad
- 12 scallops
- 12 pink radishes, finely sliced with a mandoline
- shaved Parmesan, to taste
- 3 tablespoons coarsely chopped hazelnuts, dry roasted in a pan
- In a small bowl, add sea salt, pepper and the shallot. Add the vinegar and oils. Whisk to emulsify. Stir herbs in and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F and prepare a baking sheet covered with parchment paper; set aside.
- Place the potato slices on a working surface in front of you. Brush them with olive oil. Flip them onto the other side and brush with oil again. Season with salt and pepper.
- On the baking sheet arrange the potato slices into concentric circles (they will overlap on top of each other) to form a galette. Make 6 galettes like this and season with a dash of nutmeg.
- Bake the potato galettes for 20 minutes or until they are golden in color.
- In the meantime, take 6 appetizer plates and make a bed of mâche on each.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a non-stick frying pan. When warm, cook the scallops for a few minutes on each side (I like to keep them on the rare side). Season with salt and pepper.
- Remove from the heat and slice them into circles.
- Arrange the galettes on top of the mâche and add the scallops on top.
- Add slices of radish
- Add the Parmesan cheese and hazelnuts.
- Drizzle with the vinaigrette and serve.