for the bottom layer
- 1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour*
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 12 tablespoons butter
for the top layer
- 3/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/3 cups granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour*
- 4 eggs, beaten
- zest of one lemon
- powdered sugar, for top
*I’ve successfully made these bars gluten-free by substituting a great gluten-free flour blend like this one for the flour in this recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line an 8X8″ baking dish with foil; Set aside.
- Blend butter, flour, brown sugar and salt until it resembles a corse meal.
- Pat firmly into prepared pan. Bake for 20 minutes or until lightly browned.
- To prepare the top layer, whisk together eggs, sugar, flour, juice and zest.
- Pour over the top of the first layer and return to oven and bake for and additional 25-30 minutes. Loosen around edges, and allow to cool. Cut into squares and sift confectioners’ sugar over the top to serve.