photographed by Cassandra Eldridge
A winter perk is breaking out the cute hat collection, but what’s a girl to do when she has to remove the hat and confront the dreaded “hat hair” situation? Maritza Buelvas here, and I’ve developed a fun and easy technique for avoiding hat hair, keeping your hair in place from the winter winds and fighting frizz all at the same time. Since this style makes the grade in the Windy City (where I’m from), I know it will work wherever you live!
- medium barrel curling iron
- volume hair spray
- fine tooth teasing comb
- hair pins
- invisible hair elastic
- a fabulous hat
- Spray hair all over with volume enriching hair spray.
- Wrap small sections of hair around a medium-sized barrel curling iron to give texture and style-ability to your hair. If your hair has plenty of natural texture, you can skip this step.
- Create a three dimensional braid by doing a standard three-stand braid, but tucking strands underneath (as opposed to on top) to give hair lift and depth on one side of your head. (Note: A “3D” braid keeps its look and volume when wearing any kind of hat.)
- Repeat the same step on the other side of your head.
- Lift and tuck any hair that’s framing your neck by simply rolling your hair upwards and pinning the ends into place.
- Now you’re ready to put on your favorite winter hat. And the best part is when you decide to take it off, this hairstyle will still look great.
Hair and Copy by Maritza Buelvas | Photography by Cassandra Eldridge | Makeup by Brenda Arelano | Modeling by Willow Star
Maritza Buelvas is a published hair guru, beauty editor and beauty instructor. Via Beauty For Bloggers she teaches beauty artistry workshops and web design classes for the beauty-focused blogger and beauty entrepreneur. Maritza also contributes regularly to online fashion, lifestyle and beauty bibles.
Share this Post