If you’re a regular reader, you may have caught on to the fact that Camille loves salads — she eats one for lunch most days of the work week, and is usually really, really excited about them. Typically, I’d make fun of her disproportionate salad enthusiasm, but to be totally honest, I’m the same way with my sandwiches. That’s right, I consider myself to be an above-average sandwichiér (look it up), and since my once run-of-the-mill toasties have evolved to be true masterpieces, it’s not unusual that my friends and family find themselves on the receiving end of texts boasting my latest works of art. So, I thought it due time I documented some of my favorite sandwiches properly, and shared with you some of the expert lessons I’ve learned over the years. Without further ado, here are three tried-and-tested amazing sandwich recipes…
1. The Veggie Delight
First up, a vegetarian sandwich that I eat some variation of almost every day. The formula: grab whatever veggies you have on hand, sauté or grill one of said veggies, then layer it all between two pieces of toasted Seeduction Bread (an addictive, slightly sweet, nutty wheat bread that’s sold at Whole Foods). But if you’re looking for a fool-proof combination, I recommend this masterpiece… in order from bottom to top, I layered hummus, arugula, grilled eggplant, avocado slices, basil ribbons and crumbled goat cheese.
Some expert tips:
- Use spreads as your “mortar” for slippery and loose ingredients. In this case, the hummus is keeping the arugula from falling out everywhere.
- Strategically place sautéed or grilled items in contact with greens to slightly wilt them, or with cheese to lightly melt it.
- Mini veggies are your friend. For this sandwich I used a mini eggplant, which is perfect for fitting in between bread and making a meal for one.
- When in doubt, just press the whole thing and make a delicious veggie panini! This is especially helpful when you have a lot of ingredients and need them to stay in place.
- To make handling and eating much easier, I always cut my sandwiches in half with a serrated knife.
2. The Perfect Breakfast Sandwich
Since I don’t have much of a sweet tooth, when it comes to breakfast indulgences, this is it for me. And while I don’t usually have time during the week to make a carefully assembled breakfast sandwich like this one, I love to start my weekend mornings off with one of these totally decadent creations (when I’m not inhaling breakfast tacos). My ideal combination: grilled sourdough bread, sliced avocado, sliced tomato, some great quality feta cheese, a fried egg, green onion, and salt & pepper.
Top it off with a second slice of grilled sourdough, and cut in half for an outpouring of amazing, runny yolk. Drool.
3. The Blackened Tilapia Sub
Last but certainly not least is a sandwich that’s just about perfect: freshly baked fluffy baguette, blackened tilapia, a cool and crunchy slaw, sliced tomatoes, and my all-time favorite garnishes, refreshing cilantro and lime. It’s Cajun-meets-Thai, and though it’s not a sandwich that you would throw together in 5 minutes, it’s exciting and flavorful enough to make for a great casual dinner at home.
Share this Post