Yesterday we capped off our office Valentine’s party by (why not?) testing recipes for awards show-worthy vodka cocktails. The Oscars are right around the corner, and even though I’m planning to be curled up on the couch in my comfy pants this year, it’s always fun to add a few small doses of glitz to make the night feel festive. As much as I love my artisanal cocktails, when it comes to the ones I make at home, I usually stick to a 3-ingredient rule to keep things simple. And the makings for this drink – pear vodka, cranberry juice & pineapple – are such a perfect match, why mess with a good thing? A sparkling sugar rim is a not-so-subtle nod to the bling that’ll be draped over every star waltzing the red carpet, and a couple fresh raspberries add a garnish that’s just plain pretty. Keep reading for the recipe, and stay tuned for a few more Oscar Night ideas throughout next week…
Oscar Night Smash
*makes one drink (feel free to double, triple, etc. to make a batch for a crowd!)
- 1 1/2 oz pear vodka ( keep mine in the freezer so it stays ice-cold)
- 1 1/2 oz pineapple juice, chilled
- 1 1/2 oz cranberry juice, chilled
- 2 raspberries for garnish
- Line the rim of a chilled glass with sparkling sugar: run a lemon wedge along the edge of each glass, then dip into a plate piled with sparkling white sugar (look for it on the cookie-decorating aisle at the grocery store.) Twist the glass back and forth in the sugar to evenly coat.
- Add a couple raspberries to glass, then top with pear vodka, pineapple juice and cranberry juice. Stir if desired (or leave unstirred to give a slight ombré effect to the drink’s appearance.) Cheers!
**recipe inspired by this one.